Friday, April 21, 2006

On this day . . .

Image hosting by Photobucket
753 BC: According to legend, twin brothers Romulus and Remus, sons of the god Mars, found the ancient city of Rome.

1836: Shouting, "Remember the Alamo," General Sam Houston and his army of Texans defeat Mexican forces in the Battle of San Jacinto, winning independence for Texas.

1910: Mark Twain, author of the American classics The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, dies.

1918: Germany's World War I flying ace Manfred von Richthofen, the notorious Red Baron, is shot down behind British lines.

1926: Her Majesty, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, and Saint Kitts and Nevis, was born.

1975: I was born.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember it well. One of my proudest moments. I remember the night in the hospital with only a night light on and you in my arms wondering what life would bring you. I am very proud of you and love you very much!