Thursday, October 26, 2006

Walking toward a cure

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This weekend, thousands of other women and men are participating in a 60 mile walk for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundtion. There is a team from St. Albans Episcopal Church called The Believers and they have been working very hard preparing for this event. I have to applaud them; I'm sure 6 miles would do me in, much less 60. They make all of us proud. It is a testimony to anyone who has been through cancer treatment. That is, it may sound daunting and impossible; it may seem discouraging or be painful; it may take much longer and be much more than you first thought. But there are many who have gotten there from here, and you can be one of them.

Here are some cheering stations were you can cheer along The Believers. Join in if you are able.

Day One: Friday, Oct 27
Mile Marker 7 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am
Kirkwood United Methodist Church (cheering station in lot off Story) 2232 W 5th Street, Irving

Mile Marker 17.9 from 12:30 pm to 5:00 pm
St. Michael's of Arlington Shopping Center (corner of NW Green Oaks Blvd and Collins) 1001 NE Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington

Day Two: Saturday, Oct 28
Mile Marker 4.2 from 9:00 am to 10:30 am
Lincoln Square (between Center & Collins, fountain side) 800 Road to Six Flags, Arlington

Mile Marker 12.6 from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm
Fielder Plaza (NW corner of Randol Mill & Fielder) 1701 W Randol Mill Rd, Arlington

Day Three:Sunday, Oct 29
Mile Marker 8.6 from 9:00 am to 11:30 am
Shopping Center on Camp Bowie (by Bluebonnet Bakery) 3900-4000 block of Camp Bowie, Fort Worth

Mile Marker 13.4 from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm
Radio Shack (Store One) 400 W Belknap St., Fort Worth

Closing Cermonies are Sunday at 4:30 pm
The Fort Worth Stockyards (National Historic District) 140 E. Exchange Ave., Fort Worth The parking lots across the street from Billy Bob’s Texas have been reserved for complimentary event parking. They are located on Stockyards Boulevard, 1 block north of E. Exchange.

Note that friends, family and supporters should arrive to the Closing Ceremonies site at least one hour early to get the best view of the program. To witness the final victory walk of the 3-Day is truly an experience worth the wait. All walkers and crew members will remain in the Participant Holding area where they will receive their victory shirt, cheer on their fellow walkers and crew members, and reflect on their experience before the dramatic silent victory walk into Closing Ceremonies.

P.S. Tip of the biretta to parishioners Marsha and Monica Brown for the schedule.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you and Melisa are walking in this

Fr Timothy Matkin said...

Sorry. I didn't know about it soon enough.

Fr Timothy Matkin said...

But we did sponsor/donate.

Fr Timothy Matkin said...

More details from Kim White:

"The Believers" are six women from St Alban's and two other friends who have joined us. The St. Alban's women include Monica and Marsha Brown, Sara Beall, MaryBeth Troutt, Melaini Touchstone, and me, Kim White. The other two ladies are Winkie Myers and Kathy Ivanovskis. Our team has raised over $24,500 for the cause.

Fr Timothy Matkin said...

More details from Mary Beth Troutt:

This event was personally challenging for many others and me. As we walked to the ceremony, many of us were bandaged, limping, blistered, sore and exhausted. But, we were humbled and smiling, because each of us continued on through our own personal challenges for something bigger than ourselves. Along my 3-day journey, I met some wonderful people with some amazing stories about why they participated in this journey. Each person had a different, inspiring story. Each person I met encouraged me to keep on going. As I look back on the 41 miles that I personally completed, I realize that I helped, in a very small way, raise awareness about breast cancer. And, I also persevered through my own personal challenges to improve my health, considering 13 months ago, I could only walk ONE mile in 30 minutes, then I had to stop because I was too tired.