Friday, July 20, 2012

That's why they call it 'matrimony'

This afternoon, I was looking up something in my handy 'Pocket Catholic Dictionary' by John Hardon (an excellent resource, btw). As I was thumbing through the pages, my eye caught the entry "Consummated Marriage." It aroused my interest, so I took a peak. The brief definition concluded by noting, "Contraceptive intercourse does not consummate Christian marriage."

It surprised me a little, either because this was a detail I had forgotten or one I never learned in the first place. But after giving it a moment's thought, it not only made sense, but even seemed amazing that I could have ever been ignorant of something so obvious. After all, that's why they call it "matrimony." It's about making a woman into a mother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it'll give people ideas!

They can get an annullment after a few years as they've never actually consumated the marriage!

Interesting fact though.

Prompto Cam said...

Thanks great blog poost